Skating has some advantages and disadvantages. The biggest challenge that you have to face is injuries. At times, you would have tiny scratches and cuts but at you might come with fractures and deep cuts. Thus, scroll down and see what the five common yet scary injuries you can have in skating are!
- Fractures and sprains at ankles: Skating demands you to move legs and apply pressure on ankles that can damage anterior muscles of tibialis and peroneal. It can cause sprains and fractures at ankles.
- Head injuries: They are scariest injuries you could have as ice is not a comfy surface. Its solid surface will burst blood out of your head if you lose balance and fall. Therefore, it is important to spin and jump carefully or you can suffer.
- Tears at ACL: There is an anterior cruciate ligament in your knees that help you to move and rotate knees. Application of too much pressure on knees can tear the ligament and it can be scary if the tear is deep.
- Laceration: Laceration is a deep cut in skin or flesh. Figure skating involves ice, bladed skates and lots of jumps and spins. The hard surface of ice and blades can fall you down and cause a deep cut in flesh and skin.
- Injuries on wrists and hands: At times, you have to bend below lean back to grab the skate and lift it over the head. This might put too much pressure on hands that you may have terrible injuries on hands and wrists.
So these are the commonest yet scariest injuries that you can have if you are in figure skating. Yet there are ways to prevent them. Instead of wearing loose or too tight skates, wear skates of your size. It will reduce the chances of getting injuries. Secondly, wear helmets and pads to keep your head and legs safe. Thirdly, wear thick and warm clothes because chilled weather can make you sick and lastly, do warm-up exercise or do anything to warm yourself. It will keep your muscles lose which will reduce sprains and tears.
Everything has merits and demerits. Figure skating’s major demerit is injury. You can have the worst injuries that can cripple you and limit you to bed. Therefore, it is important to wear proper equipment and do everything or step carefully or you would face the music. It is important to wear gymnastics leotards for girls and use rhythmic gymnastics balls initially to learn to jump and lift the weight.